Friday, April 25, 2008

In Da Zone

If you're enough of an old fart---and I guess I am---it seems kind of odd to contemplate something like a "Jesus'n'Mary Zone" in the sense of being able to be "in the zone."

But it certainly seems a real phenomenon, if not usually described that way. Where everything is flowing correctly, presumably (to a person of faith) because you've explained where your problems lie and turned over the solution to Our Lord and his Mom. Things start working out in what is clearly proper fashion, sometimes with very improbable solutions---stuff you couldn't get away with, if you were writing your life as fiction.

I've never managed to be there longer than about two days on a good run; I wonder if saints manage to stay there longer than that at a stretch?

I think maybe it's one of those things where you have to be absolutely in the moment, inside what's happening---and the minute you're aware enough of the situation to know you're there, you're not in the moment anymore, you've stepped outside and become an observer. Which is why you can't really sustain it.

Other opinions or observations cheerfully taken, though. I'd love to see these pages become a discussion forum.

1 comment:

Valorie said...

I like to think of that "in the zone" stuff as "walking meditation." And it is blamed hard to do, to make every breath sacred, take every step on holy ground, see the Light within every person. But it is a worthy goal to me.